The Walker PTA is proud to organize College & Career Day annually at Walker! We invite parents & community members from all backgrounds and careers so we can share a diverse range of experiences with our students.
It’s almost time to elect our next executive committee officers to lead our organization for the next two years!
Below are the general descriptions of what each position entails. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in running for any of these positions. As a reminder, to run for an executive board election, persons interested must have been a registered/paid member of Walker PTA for at least 30 days. If you haven’t joined yet you still have the opportunity to do so here: http://walkerpta.corecommerce.com/membership/
Voting will take place at our April Meeting, and will be elected by PTA members in good standing and present at the meeting that evening.
- Schedule & preside at all PTA meetings, executive board meetings, and executive committee meetings;
- be a member ex-officio of all committees except the nominating committee and, if authorized to sign checks, the audit committee
- sign all legal documents, including contracts
- meets regularly with principal as per their discretion
- maintain correspondence with Walker staff as needed
- appoint members to special committees as needed
- be responsible for other duties as may be assigned to him or her by the PTA membership, the executive board, or the executive committee
- delegate PTA work to other officers or chairmen as may be appropriate
- coordinate the work of the officers and committees
- completes the Illinois PTA President’s Course before election or within six (6) months of election
- may search out and apply for grants
- record the minutes of all meetings, the executive board meetings, and the executive committee meetings
- keeps the online calendar updated
- have a current copy of the bylaws; update as needed (at least every 2 years)
- maintain a current membership list
- conduct correspondence of the PTA, including preparing monthly PTA newsletters
- receive all monies and keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures
- deposit PTA monies
- Sign checks and pay out funds in accordance with the budget as approved by the membership and authorized according to the procedures described in the Standing Rules
- present a written financial statement at every meeting and at other times as requested by the executive board; making a full report at the annual meeting in September
- be responsible for the remittance of the state and national portion of the dues paid by each member
- provide the checkbook, all bank statements, canceled and voided checks, deposit slips, treasurer’s record book and receipt book, vouchers and invoices for all disbursements to the audit committee
- be responsible for completion and filing of appropriate forms as may be required by Internal Revenue Service
- be responsible for completion and filing of appropriate forms as may be required by Illinois Secretary of State
- Complete an official Illinois PTA Financial workshop
- Helps to oversee the bulk school supply order program
All Executive Committee Officers:
- Confer to appoint the standing committee heads
- Meet as needed to ensure flow of PTA activities
- Confer to schedule PTA meeting speakers as needed
February 21, 2018
Dear Walker Families,
As you know, testing was completed last November for lead contamination in water in all D65 elementary and magnet schools according to recent Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) regulations. Results were shared in early December.
Using mitigation strategies recommended by IDPH, including regular flushing and replacement of some pipes and fittings, water sources were re-tested by Stantec, an environmental testing firm, on January 13, 2018. Testing guidelines require that a water sample is tested after being out of use for at least eight hours (first draw) and that a second sample is tested after the water has run for at least 30 seconds (flush draw). While we were able to fix the problem at a number of sources, the re-testing confirms that one remains above the IDPH recommended level (5 parts per billion) on either draw.
- Room 101 (Simmons), Classroom Sink, 14.5ppb (first draw) / 0.8ppb (flush draw)
The water source above the recommended level has signage posted that it is not to be used and this signage will remain in place. Our staff has been asked to monitor and students have been instructed to refrain from using this sink. Environmental experts recommend that the water source remain on; turning it off for an extended period of time will only cause further water quality issues. However, this sink will remain out-of-use until it meets IDPH guidelines. All drinking fountains and bottle fillers are within the recommended level and are safe for consumption.
Given that initial mitigation strategies did not work in all cases, we will develop a comprehensive plan that identifies a range of solutions to resolve outstanding issues by March 16, 2018.
District 65 will continue to work with IDPH, the City of Evanston Public Works Department, and the Evanston Health and Human Services Department to protect the environmental health and safety of our students and staff. Updates will be provided as available. Thank you for understanding.
Ginger Lumpkin, Principal
Paul Goren, Superintendent of Schools
It’s Box Top time again! The class that turns in the most will win a pizza party!
Students will be provided a sandwich bag and form to note their name & class. Box tops can be turned in to the blue collection bin in the main office or returned to the teacher.
Spring BT Collection deadline: end of the school day on Monday February 26.
If the bag w/ form didn’t make it home, or you need another, you can download the form here: Box Tops form
Due to a conflict for the hosting member, our March meeting is being moved from Wednesday March 14 to the following Thursday, March 22nd.
If you’re looking for some great gifts , stop by Barnes & Noble’s Old Orchard location on Saturday December 16th using Walker’s exclusive voucher and Walker will get a percentage back! It’s that easy. Download and share the Walker Elementary Voucher
We love B&N, they always have great reads and great stocking stuffers for all the different interests on your list 🙂