From parents and caregivers to teachers and principals, keeping the Walker community safe is a top priority for everyone! Thank you to all of you who have been so incredibly supportive as Walker moves forward in creating a safer and more long-term pickup / drop-off system.
While no system is perfect, we need your help, support and input to have continued success in keeping everyone safe. Here is the outline of our drop off and pick up procedures:
Morning Drop Off
- ALL students can be dropped off at school starting at 8:50 a.m.
- Teachers monitor the playground starting at 8:50 a.m.
- All are welcome to park and walk their student(s) to school! We love seeing parents and caregivers in the morning (and afternoon)!!!
Where to Drop Off
- Drop Off Zone on Central Park between Church and Davis
- West parking lot
- Once the buses have left the circle, in front of school (around 8:52 a.m.)
Where to Park
- PARKING SPACES in the west parking lot (please do not park on the curb)
- Street parking on Arcadia and Davis
Drop Off During Inclement Weather
- Inclement weather — raining, icy conditions or when the “feels like” temperature is below 20 degrees
- All students will be let in the building at 8:50 a.m.
- If you have older and younger students to drop off you can do so in the circle drive in front of the school, after the buses depart (around 8:52 a.m.)
Afternoon Pick Up
- Pick up is at 3:35 p.m. (12:05 p.m. on half days)
- *Students, 8 and under, must be picked up by an adult or per the school Student Destination Form, parents designate who is allowed to pick up their child, who the child will walk home with, including an older sibling
Where to Pick Up
- Pick Up Zone on Central Park between Church and Davis
- Pick Up Zone West Parking lot
*We are currently working with the school on finding an alternative method for bringing younger students to their adults in their cars so that they can idle single file in the pick-up zone on Central Park.
Where NOT to Park:
- Central Park (between Church and Davis) in designated drop off / pick up zones
- Anywhere there is an existing ‘No Parking’ sign
- The curb in the west lot
- The curb and/or parking spaces in the circle in front of the building
- While you are able to idle SINGLE FILE in the drop off / pick up zones, please do not leave your vehicles unattended and be courteous to other parents who are trying to move through for drop off or pick up
- NOTE ABOUT IDLING: The district “prohibits the idling of cars or buses for periods of time longer than necessary to pick-up and drop-off students.” While there is no official definition of what is “longer than necessary,” please try and keep it to under 5 minutes if possible for the sake of the environment!
- Beware of the crosswalk that goes from Arcadia to the school. Please stop when someone is in the crosswalk. It is an Illinois state law!
- The speed limit on Central Park is 20 MPH.
- As Walker is situated in a residential area, please be courteous of residents.
- If you see something, say something. Please report unsafe conditions to Ms. Lumpkin.
If you have questions or recommendations, we are all ears!!! Please be sure to reach out to Ms. Lumpkin and let her know your thoughts.
We need your help!
You know what they say: It takes a village and we need our village to make things safer for everyone! There are several ways in which you can help:
Come on Out and Join the Traffic Squad!
Ms. Lumpkin has asked for parent/caregiver support. While the school is currently developing long-term strategies for creating a permanent solution to ensure student safety at drop off/pick up–which they will eventually manage–she is going to need us to step in and step up for the time being.
So, let’s do what we do and volunteer. Here is a link to the SignUpGenius.
Reaching Out to the Village of Skokie
There is a desperate need for better signage in the areas surrounding Walker. Crosswalk signs are nonexistent and speed limit and no parking signs are either too small or hidden from view. Getting better signage falls on the Village of Skokie and they need to hear from us in order to make Walker a priority.
From the comfort of your couch, take five minutes to make your voice heard and reach out to the Village of Skokie. Here is a script you can follow, complete with contact information:
Contact: Samantha Maximilian, Traffic Engineer at Village of Skokie, Phone: 847/673-0500
Hello, my name is _________, I have a child that attends Walker Elementary School, located at 3601 Church St, Evanston, IL 60203.
I would like to speak to Samantha Maximilian, Traffic Engineer at the Village of Skokie. I need to discuss the extremely dangerous traffic situation in front of my student’s school, on Central Park between Church and Davis.
The lack of appropriate signage to indicate that there is crosswalk the goes between Arcadia and the school and the lack of a digital speed sign on Central Park between Church and Davis, have led to some very dangerous near misses. The most recent incident took place on Wednesday, September 12 at approximately 3:36 pm. An adult who was in the crosswalk nearly got run over by a car that was speeding and failed to stop. Something needs to be done. We would appreciate if the Village would provide signage as soon as possible.