Walker School Supply Program 2019-2020
No Lists + No Kits + No Store = No Hassle
The goal of the program is to provide the same, high quality supplies, on the first day of school and throughout the school year for 100% of our students.
WHAT IS THE COST: $50/per student ~ $25/for free & reduced lunch
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK:
- Is this a fundraiser? No. All funds collected are only used to purchase classroom supplies. Any remaining funds are carried over to the following school year.
- Am I purchasing a kit? No. Classrooms are given an annual budget to purchase supplies for their students. They order in bulk, as needed, individually and/or with a team member, throughout the school year.
- When are payments due? To ensure the success of the program we are asking families to submit payment asap. This will begin to fund the program and allow teachers to order the needed supplies in mid August to prepare for the first day of school.
- Does this cover all school supply costs for the school year? Yes. All communal classroom supplies are covered.
- What is not included? “At Home Items”: backpack, dictionaries, calculators, change of clothing and shoes for gym. It does not include classroom subscriptions or sleeping mats for Kindergarten.
- Are other D65 schools running supply programs? Yes. Most elementary schools have eliminated supply lists and their PTA’s are facilitating similar programs.
- How is this a cost reducing approach? PTA’s do not pay sales tax. Better pricing in bulk purchasing and free shipping by using a single provider allows us to keep the costs down. Renewable supplies like scissors and rulers stay in the classroom and reduce the need to reorder annually.
- Is the amount the same for every student? No. Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch will have a reduced rate. See attached order form.
- Can I pay the supply cost at registration? No. At this time these programs are managed at the school level by their PTA.
- Can I support other Walker students? Yes. You may donate money to the program to support payment for other Walker students.
- If my student does not return to Walker next year can I get a refund? Yes. The PTA will issue you a full refund by check.
- What can I do to help? In one word, participate. It’s that simple. Buy-in early so that teachers have the funds to order before students return in August. In order to ensure the success of the program we need our families to participate.
More importantly, this is about equity. This is about our community coming together and supporting all families at Walker to feel included and part of the Walker community without creating an overwhelming financial burden to our most vulnerable families.
All questions/concerns are welcome! We understand that you may have more questions regarding the program. Please feel free to contact Alecia Wartowski (parent and PTA member) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-769-1214.