The Walker PTA’s mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. The PTA is an integral part of the school community, which contributes to the academic and social-emotional engagement of each child and the school.
WHAT WE DO and WHY IT IS IMPORTANT: Our first priority is building and helping to sustain the Walker community; it’s the village that you’ll come to know well as your children navigate elementary school, and a network for parents to learn about and help shape their children’s experience there.
The PTA supports Walker School in many ways including:
- being a source of information and communication on school activities
- providing opportunities to learn and provide input about the issues that affect our families and community
- coordinating before and after school enrichment programs
- organizing, volunteering at, and funding the experiential learning activities available to our children
- collaborating with both the school and community-at-large in supporting classroom and community initiatives
- purchasing materials for our teacher’s programs
- building community and capacity for parents to stay engaged in their child’s education
In the 2002 research review, A New Wave of Evidence: The Impact of School, Family, and Community Connections on Student Achievement, Anne T. Henderson and Karen L. Mapp conclude that there is a positive and convincing relationship between family involvement and student success, regardless of race/ethnicity, class, or parents’ level of education. There is increasing research-based evidence that shows when parents collaborate with schools, their children’s educational outcomes improve.
There are many easy ways to support the PTA: Provide your valuable input, become a member, volunteer your time, attend meetings & events, and encourage others to do the same! We hope that you will join us in our efforts to help provide the nurturing, multi-faceted, challenging, and exciting environment that fosters love for learning and builds lasting relationships for all our children.
You can learn about our PTA Committees here.
Also check out our Walker parent PTA guide.
CAN WE COUNT YOU IN? See our Membership Page to Join!